Youth Science Canada (YSC) is pleased to announce that the Ambassador Program will be returning for the 2013 Canada-Wide Science Fair in Lethbridge, Alberta. The CWSF Ambassadors are former CWSF finalists who have graduated from secondary school and who will interact with finalists and delegates throughout the week. Ambassadors have the opportunity to participate first-hand in the planning and delivery of Canada's premiere youth science event.
New for this year:
- Ambassadors will be divided into three different specialties: Judging, Finalist Interaction, and Social Media
- Travel costs (within Canada) will be covered by YSC
The CWSF Ambassadors are members of the YSC CWSF Host Team – the staff and volunteers responsible for the planning and successful implementation of a professional, high-impact annual event.
Through this program, successful applicants will have the opportunity to develop skills in advanced leadership, mentorship, event management, networking, and logistics, critical to a career in the sciences and beyond. A very limited number of positions are available; however, we encourage applicants with various levels of leadership experience.
The Ambassadors are specifically responsible for:
- enabling finalists and delegates to make the most of the CWSF experience;
- ensuring finalists have the best possible judging experience; and
- engaging CWSF participants, friends, and followers as part of Youth Science Canada’s social media strategy.
It is anticipated that the ambassadors will be a source of inspiration to current finalists, exemplifying where they could be in a few years! If you are an outgoing, fun, and responsible CWSF alumna or alumnus between the ages of 18 and 27, we are looking for you!
Ambassadors will be screened based on their application. Each candidate will be asked to provide contact information for two references who may be contacted during the application screening process. References should include a teacher, mentor, regional science fair coordinator, professor or supervisor. Reference contacts should not submit letters of reference to the screening committee. Some shortlisted candidates will be contacted for a follow-up interview in March. Those candidates will be contacted by e-mail to inform them of the date and time to expect a call. Successful applicants will be notified by telephone by Monday, March 18th.
All successful applicants will have their travel (within Canada) and CWSF registration costs (including accommodation and meals) covered by YSC.
Applicants for the ambassador positions must meet all the following requirements:
- Be a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident
- Be between the ages of 18-27 and a high school graduate
- Be available for the entire week of the Canada Wide Science Fair without conflicting commitments (Saturday, May 11 to Saturday, May 18)
- Be able to attend a 2-day training session in Lethbridge on May 9-10.
- Be responsible, motivated and outgoing
- Ability to speak French, Mandarin and/or Spanish an asset
- First Aid training is an asset
Note: Ambassadors and senior ambassadors may serve for a maximum of four years in total, and a maximum of three years as an ambassador or senior ambassador.
Applicants are required to provide two personal statements:
- What can I contribute to the Canada Wide Science Fair 2013 (250 words maximum)
- What was your best science fair experience? (250 words maximum)
In addition, applicants must rank the three different specializations for their ambassadorship:
- Judging Specialization: Assisting finalists in their preparation for and during the judging process
- Finalist Interaction Specialization: Facilitating the finalists’ social interactions throughout the week, including (but not limited to) project setup, project takedown, and social activities.
- Social Media Specialization: Activating the CWSF’s social media presence throughout the week, including (but not limited to) blog posts, Facebook, and Twitter.
Applicants must also indicate their experience for their top ranked specialization. For the Social Media specialization, a writing sample (in the form of a blog post) will be required.
To apply, please complete the application at:
The deadline for applications is Monday, March 11, 2013, 11:59 PM EDT. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered. All applicants will be notified about the decisions by Saturday, March 23.
Feel free to send any questions or comments about the program or the selection procedure to the Ambassador Coordinator at: [email protected]